Wednesday, June 12, 2013

HER NAME IS LOLA!

Lola is the gray bunny on the left and Coco is the tan one on the right. They are mini-rexes. A few months ago it became evident to me that a pet would be a great benefit for my kids. I began praying.

While out to lunch with a friend she mentioned that they were looking for a home for their dog. We arranged a meeting between said dog and my children (without their knowledge of the possibility that we might keep him). They fell in love and my heart leaped when I saw their eyes light up and their countenance change. We visited with said dog a couple of times, but it became evident it just wasn't a good fit. He was a puppy, a large puppy and we have a small house with no fenced yard. My prayer specifically was for a dog, not a puppy!

We began talking about a bunny and my oldest two got to work saving for a bunny. I got an email about a rabbit cage and pen for sale, so I bought them. My kids did a wonderful job saving and planning for a bunny. We went to our old neighbor's house, a rabbit breeder and picked out not one, but two bunnies. I just couldn't resist and my littlest two needed a pet too. We brought the bunnies home and fell in love. They are amazing. Lola, my bunny acts more like a dog than a rabbit. They are sweet and were immediately litter box trained. We keep them in their pen, with the cage inside on the screened porch (I'll include a picture of that one day when it's clean). For more on rabbits as pets, check out Georgia House Rabbit Society.

Then seemingly out of nowhere, but totally in God's bigger picture plan, we got our beloved little dog, Maggie back. We purchased Maggie, a long-haired, dachshund in the fall of 2010, but I never got the chance to post about her. In March of 2011 the kids and I moved to a new, small town with Maggie. I was a single mom, with four kids eight and under and very unsure of our circumstances and future. So, I sent Maggie back to live with my ex. He has had her since then. Recently circumstances changed and it was a good time for us to get Maggie back, so we did. In a month and a half we went from zero pets to three.

Maggie is settling in nicely. Everyone is so happy! I have realized the decision for me to not have Maggie for a while was a really loving thing to do for myself and allowed me to focus on the most important things, my children, at the time. I do not regret it or feel guilty. I am actually grateful that at a time when I could have really been cruel to myself I chose to love myself. It is a good example for my children. God is so rich in His mercy, He has restored to us what was lost and continues to do so. We are all at a much better place to love and care for Maggie.

 

 
Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

This song is a great reminder of God's love for us (for you), His beloved children:
Still hoping in Him,











1 comment:

Mari said...

The rabbits are so cute! I'm happy that you have Maggie back and your hearts are full. :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin